Thursday 25 October 2012

John Peel 1939-2004


It was a sad day for broadcasting, and for music, eight years ago today when John Peel died whilst on holiday in Peru. His death was announced the following day, October 26th, and this is how Georgina Bowman and Radio 1’s Newsbeat team broadcast the news that evening:

I know a number of readers are on the lookout for any John Peel show recordings. I recently came across part of his programme from 23 June 1991. This was a Sunday evening show that went out after Andy Kershaw, hence the “thanks very much Andy” at the beginning. It was also around the time that John Walters retired as his producer.
 


The Jocks Choice - 25 Years of Pop (BBC 1992)

4 comments:

John Peel said...

Hi
Where did the image of 'The Jocks Choice - 25 Years of Pop (BBC 1992)' come from?
From
John

Andy Walmsley said...

It taken from my copy of 25 Years of Pop, a book that was published by the BBC in 1992.

John Peel said...

Thanks, I think I remembered the book also asked other BBC Radio DJ's , including Alan Freeman. I can't remember what other DJ's were asked in The Jocks's Choice.

Andy Walmsley said...

Send me an email and I can let you have more info plus page scans if wanted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...